Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wait...Which One Is It? Best Albums of 2011

The more I look at the best album's of the year lists the more I'm starting to realize that I was just not paying attention. While there was some overlap the majority of the albums listed, I either didn't realize existed or didn't bother to check out (Korn had an album out? Really? I so didn't need to know that Revolver)... so we're gonna try something different.

I'm currently combing over the lists picking out the overlap albums to check out...I'll pick 5 of the best ones and do a review here. If you wanna see what all the important cool kids think:

You can check out Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2011 here.

If that's too indie hipster for you why not check out Spin's 50 Best Albums of 2011 here.

Or perhaps you'd prefer The Rolling Stones Readers' Poll on The Best Albums of 2011? Click here then.


But before I post that later in the week lets get into the albums I did listen to:

Taking Back Sunday-s/t
Released June 28 the bands fifth studio album marks the return of the original lineup. John Nolan and Shaun Cooper left after the success of TBS's first record Tell All Your Friends. Since reuniting the band has toured America twice, worked on and released said album. Surprisingly, the album is more hard rock than punk rock. Mature and yet extremely reminiscent of the bands humble beginnings, songs like "Best Places To Be A Mom" sounds like the next logical step bridging the gap from old to new. Although I loved the between albums listening to Nolan and lead singer Adam Lazzara's vocals together can make you heartsick and realize just how much we all missed the OG lineup.

Best tracks: "Faith (When I Let You Down)" and "You Got Me"

Freelance Whales - Weathervanes
Even though Weathervanes was released in 2010 Freelance Whales had a pretty big year. The song "Kilojoules" was practically on every indie kids mixtape and the band even got to play Coachella this year. The album itself is a combination of melancholy folk, wistful melodies, and cutesy synths. It's difficult to decide whether to feel somber or upbeat but the overall quality of the record isn't diminished by the fact.

Best tracks: "Hannah" and the dark and charming "Generator ^ Second Floor"

Cobra Starship- Night Shades
My boy Gabe can do no wrong. Teaming up with Sabi the single "You Make Me Feel..." has been all over the internet and radio. I even heard the song at my gym the other day. French rock band Plastiscines even feature on the track "Fool Like Me." Night Shades is a fun dancey record plain and simple. While exceedingly light-hearted, Night Shades almost has a multiple personality on the subject of love and relationships. At times positive and endearing like in "You Belong to Me" and the New Order-ish "Anything for Love," the band does a complete 180 singing about perfect yet wholly dysfunctional couples in "Disaster Boy" and the aforementioned "Fool Like Me." It's hard to know exactly where Cobra Starship stands on the subject but it's all in good fun... with a great back beat at that.

Best tracks: "Don't Blame the World It's The DJ's Fault" and "Anything for Love"


And finally, my album of the year is...

Patrick Stump- Soul Punk
I showed up late to the party on this particular album, but I can hardly remember anything from before this record. Soul Punk is the only album this year that felt exciting to listen to. While mainly narrative, songs like "Explode" mirror the artists sentiments about recording and performing solo. When Stump sings "if this is it I'm gonna go out with a bang" you can feel the risk he is taking. Subtle and strangely profound Soul Punk is fun and entirely engrossing.

Best tracks: "Allie," "Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers)," and "Spotlight (New Regrets)"


Upcoming records in 2012-

I don't know about anyone else but the only albums I'm concerned with hearing before the end of the world next year would be Say Anything and Scarling.'s upcoming releases. Both bands are in the studio now and I'm extremely happy. Now the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment