Monday, September 13, 2010

VMA Shennanigans or lack thereof

So, really the VMAs did kind of bite the big one. It's like either I'm getting older or MTV is getting desparate.

Of course, the big hype machine was the indeed pre-show which had a performance from Nicki Minaj and Will.I.Am. which I can only describe as "Hmmmm....Astro boy wants his look back from both of you!" Really Nicki? You're sooo talented, you don't have to do the Derp faces, just rap. Also, for all the people making a big deal about Will.I.Am's "Black" outfit...shut up with it already. It's not blackface, just because someone is painted IN ALL BLACK does not equate to blackface. In fact, see my other post in which we talk about what is blackface and what isn't. I swear people just like to go for the obvious. Think people, use your brains.

As for the show itself? It was hosted by E! resident mean-girl, Chelsea Handler who has basically skyrocketed to fame, Handler is indeed funny with her mean barbs but I only found myself chuckling at one or two of her jokes and watching her show has more guffaws than this. Who is to blame here? I have no clue. A OMFG appearnace by Lindsay Lohan is comforting that in times of crisis, even train-wrecks can get work. Sorry, LiLo...it's true. A commercial spotlighting the new new Gucci Guilty fragrance with Evan Rachel Wood and Frank Miller was unapologetically....lame.

Aside from really odd commercials, and the usual line up of lame one liners, the show belonged to Lady Gaga who took home nearly every award. I don't recall if anyone else did. Justin Bieber made his debut and in a word it was very cute and that's all I'm saying. Usher showcased that even as he's getting older, the dude has not lost his swagger. People may think he has lost his flexibility but whatever, he knows how to captivate and entertain he's aging the right way.

Let's address the big hoo ha of Taylor Swift and Kanye West, both performed at this year's awards but only ONE in my humble opinion came out on top and that was Kanye. A glitzy stage, him dressed in the devil's leisure suit and stilted ballerinas PLUS a toast to docuhebags (namely himself) he has done it again.


In an earlier post, I said that Swift sang a ballad about Kanye and I was right but I was wrong to say that she was doing it as just oh you know to make people feel bad about her . In fact both West and Swift sang about Kanye. West addressed his own douchery and Swift offered forgiveness in the form of "you're still an innocent."

Oh, how desparate MTV is to try to remind you that edgy stuff happens on their broadcasts. What the freak ever, I see more drama on The Bad Girls Club in a minute.

What peeved me about this year's awards, was all the indie acts, who deserved far more than a 1 minute sample performance. My true love, Robyn, sang "Cry When You Get Older" but it was only for a minute and MTV didn't even have the decency to say "here is Robyn!"

So yeah, epic fail again MTV.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you forgot the lame-ness of poor B.O.B and Paramore only being aloud to sing the hooks and choruses of the songs they were to perform in a medley. It's bad enough that MTV doesn't play whole videos anymore, but now they're cutting off the actual performers! We're all going to develop shorter attention spans if they keep that up.

    ReplyDelete