Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guru says adieu

Sad news today, half of the pioneering hiphop Jazz duo GangStarr, rapper and musician Keith Elam "Guru" died today at the age of 43 from Cancer.

Elam, had been suffering from the illness for over a year and prior to his passing, he issued a letter addressed to his fans:

"I, Guru, am writing this letter to my fans, friends and loved ones around the world," the letter said. "I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease. I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options."
"I have a non-profit organization called Each One Counts dedicated to carrying on my charitable work on behalf of abused and disadvantaged children from around the world and also to educate and research a cure for this terrible disease that took my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting."
The letter also goes on to adress, Solar, and DJ Premiere (whom it seems from the letter was estranged). For those not in the know, GangStarr broke through with their 1998 album "Moment of Truth."

He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment