Thursday, November 5, 2009

Twilight Saga: New Moon


Okay, I think everyone needs to back up when it comes to Twilight.

All this Twi-hate is affecting my opinion and that's not cool. We need to stop hating. That includes me.

Rolling Stone magazine called the New Moon soundtrack Pretty in Pink with fangs and I got uber upset. I heard this before I even got a chance to have my own opinion and initially, I resented the comparison. How dare they compare New Moon to any John Hughes movie. Grrr and rampage!

I finally had a chance to listen to the soundtrack and I can see it. I understand the comparison and I kinda agree. It's a beautiful soundtrack actually. Filled with soft yet powerful guitars, piano, and ethereal background noise. Nothing is too loud or fast, setting the pace magnificently for what is too come. Bring on the teenage depression and suicide attempts, whoo hoo.

The songs on New Moon set a very dark mood even for a vampire flick. "Meet me on the Equinox" penned by indie darlings Death Cab for Cutie tells a chilling tale of two lovers going all out knowing that its going to end someday no matter how awesome it is now. Even energetic songs on the album like Hurricane Bells "Monsters" makes it pretty clear the monsters intentions singing "Deep into the darkness where I hide."

Surprisingly OK Go had something to offer. The band doesn't seem like a fit, but one listen to "Shooting The Moon" makes you wonder why they weren't asked to be part of the original soundtrack.

Hands down best song would be Lykke Li's "Possibility." Filled with all the hope of Jacob's love for Bella, as well as Bella's tragic depression for the loss of her precious Edward. It's beautiful. The piano and vocals blend in a way that can break your heart its so thrilling.

Listening to the New Moon soundtrack I am reminded of what it felt like to flip through those pages two summers back in the middle of the night (yeah, I read New Moon in one sitting. Suck on that vamps!). I can feel the excitment welling up in me and I know why I liked the story in the first place. You can be certain of where I'm going to Nov 20.

But as far as calling the soundrack a John Hughes creation, I don't think its a fair comparison. I can't stand the Pretty in Pink soundtrack...or Breakfast Club soundtrack for that matter. Both movies only had one song that really were a hit. They weren't really chock full of amazing artist of the time writing songs for the actual movie. It's not the same thing so camparisons are rather trite.

Besides, John Hughes was a brilliant film maker and Twilight can never compare. It's good people, but calm down.


Key tracks- "Possibility" by Lykke Li, "Satellite Heart" Anya Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment